Monday, October 21, 2013

Organizations In The Workplace

The purpose of the Organizations in the Workplace course (HRER 802) at Penn State University is to help me define and be able to articulate critical factors that affect behavior within organizations. 

One of my assignments consisted of the following:

Using the material in Lesson 08, write a minimum of 500 words addressing the following issue.

You are participating in a meeting with two colleagues (Joe and Mary) from your department to develop a plan to implement a new performance appraisal process. You are the supervisor. The group has been stuck on one critical issue for 20 minutes. At one point Joe (speaking to Mary) blurts out: "Hey, you've been a real pain in the butt on this issue. I've had it with your arrogance. I have enough problems in my life to have to put up with this." This is not the first time that Joe has behaved this way in situations of this sort.

  • You have decided you need to address Joe's behavior. Based on the materials from the text (Chapter 9), how would you approach resolving this problem?

Here is the Essay I wrote: 

   First, I realize that Joe is experiencing stress. He seems to have a high level of hostility and anger and he doesn’t know how to cope. The problem, however, is that Joe is taking his frustration out on his colleague and he is not hiding how he feels.  Second, I would stop a moment to ask Joe about his thoughts on the performance process and find out how he would like to see things go.  According to the text, “if employees are given a sense of control over their work environment, such as being given a chance to be involved in the decision-making process that affects them; this will reduce their work stress.” At this point, I am not rewarding Joe for his bad behavior; rather, I am ensuring that it doesn’t get worse.

I have to understand that Joe may be feeling under pressure at work. He is exhibiting workplace aggression where he reacts to frustration.   And while I will take a moment to understand where Joe is coming from I will also ensure that these types of outbursts do not happen again. Once the three of us have reached an agreement on the performance appraisal process, I will conclude the meeting. Before Joe leaves I will ask him to meet me in my office and I will ask Mary to stay behind. After Joe leaves the room, I would apologize to Mary and inform her that no one deserves to be spoken to that way. I will inform her that I will be working with Joe to solve his disagreements. And finally I would ask Mary to keep our conversation confidential.

Now that Joe is waiting for me outside of my office, he and I will have a private chat. And this is how it would go. “Are you okay, Joe?” “You seem to be very frustrated in our meeting today. Would you please tell me what happened?” I will hear Joe’s thoughts and I will be very understanding. However, I will make it pointedly clear to Joe that cannot happen again. He will be referred to our Employee Assistance Program where he can seek stress management help. Suggesting an EAP to Joe may be the best option because Joe could be dealing with personal issues unrelated to work. “Although EAPs are aimed mainly at work-related difficulties, they can also help employees with problems that originate outside the workplace when such troubles impact work attendance or on-the-job performance” (Rouse, n.d.).  Nonetheless, I will provide him with all the tools and resources he needs to improve his situation and his performance on the job. Joe will still be given a warning for inappropriate workplace behavior, but I will give him an opportunity for coaching and counseling before any disciplinary measures are taken.

            Meanwhile, I will begin immediately drafting a policy on “handling interpersonal conflicts at work.”  Expectations will include cooperative and courteous behaviors.  Treating others with dignity and respect during meetings and other workplace interactions will also be a requirement. Employees will be made aware of all programs available to assist them. In the policy, they will be encouraged to seek help if they sense a stressful workplace environment. It will be a very detailed document with not only policies and practices, but it will also include options and resources.  Basically, I will outline departmental guidelines and the consequences for not following them will be included. Because next time, if someone else has an outburst like Joe, based on the new policy they may be terminated.
  
References

Luthans, F. (2011). Organizational Behavior: An Evidence-Based Approach, 12th Edition. New York. McGraw-Hill/Irwin.

Rouse, M. (2007). Employee assistance program (EAP), Retrieved from http://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/employee-assistance-program

Here is the grade I received and my professor's comments:

Kendra,

Submission Score(30 pts)Comments
Kendra Thornton - Lesson 0810/21/2013 12:01:57 AM93.33%(28 pts) 
Well  done. EAP is a good idea. When YOU send an employee to the EAP provider, YOU can get the results of the conversations and what the issues are. If an employee refuses to go to EAP or does not keep appointments, this should be grounds for termination (as written in your EE manual). What does your employee handbook say about outburst in the workplace? What else do you know about Joe? Passed OVER FOR PROMOTION? problems WORKING WITH OR FOR WOMEN?
This action is borderline insubordination. It is also not his first outburst. Watch for danger signs. He may need remedial help; or may be a potential danger in the workplace.
Well written, good content, context, grammar and spelling.
Best,
Dr. G

No comments:

Post a Comment