Friday, February 14, 2014

How to pass the PHR Exam

First, let me just say the test is not easy, by no means. Second, everyone has their own way of studying and preparing for the exam. I will give you some background information about my overall personal experience.

I spent weeks and months contemplating if I should even take the PHR exam or not. Should I do it now or later? Which preparation tool should I use and would I even qualify to sit for the exam? These questions nagged at me for weeks. Of course I wanted the PHR. Quite naturally I'd like to be a Certified Professional in Human Resources and advance in my career. So, what did I do next? My research.

As a national member of the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM), the SHRM learning system was a no brainer for me. After watching all the self-study demos, I knew it was the right tool for me. Then there were the Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI) application guidelines. I wasn't quite ready to take the plunge, but I did register on the HRCI website and I gained a clear understanding about the HR body of knowledge requirements.

For weeks, I toggled back and forth to and from the SHRM and the HRCI websites. Am I ready and do I really want to do this? I went for it. And here are my tips on how to prepare for and pass the PHR exam.


  • Pray
  • Be prepared for all applicable application fees
  • Know your budget when deciding on a learning tool 
  • Some people use various study materials, but the SHRM learning system was more than enough for me 
  • Determine how much time you have to devote to the material and tackle it piece by piece
  • Develop a study plan, revise and revisit it often
  • Pray
  • Stay motivated and focused 
  • Don't rush through the material - really understand it - after-all you need to be able to apply your HR knowledge on the job  
  • Pray
  • Don't lose sight of your goals and future opportunities
  • No, I didn't get a good night's sleep the night before the exam and yes I had too many liquids the day of the exam - you may want to NOT do those things
  • During the exam - you better pay attention: ask yourself what exactly are they asking me in this question?  
  • Pray and believe
  • And there you have it....that's how I passed the PHR and became a Certified Professional in Human Resources.
  • Sounds easy right - by no means was it nor is it. It's hard work and very time consuming, especially when you mean business.  

Basically, I prayed and studied as much and as often as I could. Initially, the large volumes of information are very overwhelming and intimidating. However, once you get into a study groove it gets easier, or should I say less complicated. You'll actually know the information inside and out - when you diligently study. More, you'll be able to piece all the information together into one big amazing body of knowledge! So go for it - you won't regret it.

Here are some helpful websites to get you started:

www.shrm.org
www.hrci.org
www.hrcp.com

I'd love to know how it goes for you!

All the best,

Kendra Novak Thornton, PHR


2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thank you for the tips. Can you share your study schedule? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Irene! Thanks for sending your question. My study block was mid October 2013 - January 2014. I took my test on January 31, 2014. The SHRM Learning System provided me with a very good break down of areas to concentrate on. At the end of the day, my schedule went something like this.

      Six modules total: Including 6 books and other materials such as flash cards, case studies, and practice tests for each model. Also included were key HR-Related Legislation and HR Case Laws that needed to be learned.

      • I broke down how many pages per book
      • How many pages can I read per day
      • I set a goal to complete one book within 10 – 12 days
      • I was able to read five out of six books cover to cover before my test – with time left to review
      • I added flash cards to my daily routine and plan – usually I got off track and had to revisit my efforts
      • The Case studies were pushed closer towards my deadline, but I was able to get through them
      • I took all the practice tests from the SHRM Learning System over and over again
      • Many breaks were taken in between - Several Days without picking up a book – then back very rigorously again
      • Often I had to readjust my study plan in order to meet my every day commitments

      Then during test time, I felt like NONE of what I had been studying was on the test – BUT I learned a lot – enough so that I passed the exam. Reading, comprehending, application of the material and understanding the HR body of knowledge are really what the test is about. When they say the exam is not about memorization of facts – they mean it!
      I hope this help…please let me know if there is more I may share - I am happy to do so!

      Delete